I love Christmas updated

The Case of the Missing Shepherd

Every year I moan about the missing shepherd in our nativity scene. I bought it
 before I realised this travesty and it annoys me every year. My husband said I was
 insane to complain to the garden centre where I bought it, but you know what? I don’t
 understand why there wasn’t mass outrage over this.  I was calling them anyway.

You see, in our nativity scene, Joseph appears to moonlighting as the shepherd as well and
in my book that’s unfair. I mean, no-one else has a dual role. The year before last, my son
was a shepherd in the school nativity. I told him he didn't exist in our version!

Anyway, phoning up the garden centre wasn't the easiest of things. My speech has been affected
by the haemorrhage and I can be hard to understand at times. I had to repeat many times why
 I was complaining about the missing shepherd/dual-rolled Joseph.  I didn’t understand why
there wasn’t mass outrage about this.

The garden centre offered to take back the nativity and refund me but I declined. Then, I
 would be lacking a whole nativity, not just an AWOL Shepherd, I explained.  I have since
 bought a very cute additional nativity set, complete with the elusive shepherd (but missing
 a donkey which I’ve decided I can deal with...) The truth is I do love my nativity - it’s super
cute. And, since it’s missing a shepherd it also gives me something to whinge about each year.


Getting out of Hollyberry Fayre

YAY!!! I don't have to go to the school Christmas fayre! (See last year’s post for the full low
 down on this “complete sensory nightmare trying to negotiate around a hall full
 of hyped-up children”)...

Anyway, I cannot tell you how much avoiding this Faye pleases me.  As soon as I saw both
 my children could go to the Harry Potter  Experience (compulsory for year 5’s; optional for
year 3’s) I was so relieved. Unlike the visits to Father Christmas which I’ve suffered in recent
years, the Harry Potter Experience excursion is sans parents.

We’ll do some baking for the fayre so at least I feel I have contributed in some way (update: we
ate the cake my PA made - its the thought that counts! They got a cheap shop bought one. I
should say I feel guilty but I don't…) However not having to go and pretend I'm enjoying it
has quite literally made my year!

The children will go, I'll give them some money, my family will take them, they will have a
 great time and I can't wait to wave them off! Happy Christmas one and all!

Last year:

I love Xmas. Before I say anything I have always absolutely loved xmas - it's magical
 and I love everything about it; the carols, the presents, (previously)  late night shopping,
the decorations and all the getting ready ( the Elf on the shelf, nativities, advent calendar
s both the chocolate and doing type, xmas fetes and xmas shows.)

I even have a xmas wreath I made - I felt very Kirstie Allsopp!!







Now its a case of just liking things and accepting that everything isn't ‘doable’ for me
 (which is harder than it sounds). I don't want to come across as all depressed because
 in the house I love Xmas, it's when I leave the house that the hard work starts.

I can't believe in general for most people what hard work Xmas is and we don't even
cook - for us it's all the organising and school politics. The children last year insisted that they
 each took presents on the last day of term and told me that morning. I then had to ‘magic
up’ 4 presents - thank god we had done xmas baking!!

I have noticed it is especially hard work since my brain hemorrhage as I can't go to the ‘fun’
  places like late night shopping & anything busy like tree lighting services or most carol
services. Yes, this does make me sad - my family might say I can still do it/go but I don't
want too. There is stuff I can do outside the house though but I have to remember to make
special arrangements so it isn't too busy or noisy- lucky me - can you see why I much prefer
 to stay in?!!

 So why do we bother when it is hard work? Because it is worth it. It does increase the magic
 and it does make memories - I hope when they are older my children will love xmas and do
all the handmade things with their children too.

The non - chocolate advent calendar

Although it didn't seem worth it when I spent two hours organising the to-do advent calendar
 (it takes ages to coordinate with my diary of things we are already doing and working out the
days I have help to make xmas biscuit etc) it's a logistical nightmare - which I dread doing every
 year - but I do it because I think it's making memories...Then they sounded disappointed that
there was no chocolate and I had to say through gritted teeth, that wasn't really the point
 and that I thought they had quite enough chocolate advent calendars, given we have 4!



Decorating

Putting up the decorations was lovely until my husband gave me a tree decoration with my
daughter's name and DOB on. She had just said how much she liked it and I promptly dropped
it, the decoration smashed into lots of pieces. Luckily it wasn't one of my favorites, my very clever
 husband fixed it with a lot of super glue, I can laugh about it now...how typical! At least
we’ll remember that decoration and it's a bit of a lesson not to give me anything precious!







Xmas Hollyberry fayre at the school

Pre-brain hemorrhage I would have loved the Xmas fayre at the school all the Xmas music,
 the food stalls and all the activities for the kids to do.

Now it's my idea of hell - a complete sensory nightmare whilst trying to negotiate
around a hall full of hyped up children (doesn't that sound great!).

The aim for me is to get in and out, without hurting anyone ( the driving points game does apply
for anyone getting in my way - I will run you over…I start off being really careful but by the end
I don't care I just want to leave!). I know I sound very un-christmassy not loving the Hollyberry
 Fayre but it is just hard work now. But I do it every year because I don't want the children to miss
out on going or feel bad that they are going without me!

Breakfast with Santa

Now I actually really enjoy this - this will be the 4th year we have done it. We go to Poplar
Nurseries - it's wonderful -  I have called up at 8.30am before on the day it comes out in
September to get it ( it has sold out by 10am for this date in the past). There is a proper
breakfast, a visit from Father Christmas at the table, a story read by Father Christmas and
then there is christmas carols.

 As the children are older I don't have to worry about them going off & sitting alone at story
 time with Father Christmas so I can sit back and enjoy my coffee. It's just brilliant and really
 gets me into the xmas spirit.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Like mother, like daughter ...

The many joys of being disabled: Random Sickness and how I wouldn't recommend it.