All things crutches



I am not an expert on all things crutches related as I haven't done the 10,000 hours they
say make you a expert but with my 3,650+ hours of physio I’m getting there!  Over the
years, I have tried lots of different types of crutches with different feet and arm grips - I bet
you didn't even know you could get different types but you can.... Forearm v’s underarm,
the European preference of an open cuff v's U.K. preference of closed cuff - it's a whole
new world!!


Given my extensive experience you could be mistaken for thinking I use these regularly.
Nope, after 4.5 years of practice the elusive crutches remains a dream- one that I continue
to work towards and get better at - but still a dream.


I remember thinking when I first got them ‘I can go to the Noodle Bar for my birthday on these’
- that was 4 years ago, I have never been to the Noodle Bar on my crutches and nor would I
want too... they do take out!


The boring bit - unfortunately the AVM that burst was in my cerebellum. That's the bit which
 controls balance. Between that and a very big (and very scary) operation to remove what
originally went wrong, it's not really surprising that I am finding them so unbelievably difficult.
This is why it is taking me so long, despite doing hours of physio every day for the past 5 years
(I can honestly say that I spend more time on exercise now than I have ever done and more
than anyone I know!), to master the elusive crutches, I still haven't.


I know l am quicker with a walker than with crutches and with 2 children being mobile is hugely
important. My walker, however, does not fit in with my lifestyle, I think it's very easy when you
see me regularly with a walker to think it fits, but it doesn't. I have just had to adapt. My walker
was always going to be a stepping stone… I may not be great at the crutches, it might be taking
me a lot longer than I would have thought it would. However, I don't give up easily and the
determination to use them that I had 4.5 years ago is entirely still there.


An old supervisor once said the saying ‘not to underestimate the determination of a quiet man’
applies well to me and it does. There is also a quote which has really helped me, “Courage
doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I’ll
try again tomorrow” (Mary Anne Radmacher).


I may be quiet, but not to be big headed, look at what I have achieved...street law,
training/qualifying as a solicitor with a firm I'm proud to have worked for, getting married
& having 2 great children and surviving a brain haemorrhage, all by the time I was 30....
Now I am 35 still quiet but I am quietly determined to use crutches so I will continue with
my practice and see where 2019 takes me!

Comments

  1. Good! Great post. We are providing services, have top qualty lawyers. If need any Divorce Lawyer, just contact us. We are waiting for you. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Like mother, like daughter ...

The many joys of being disabled: Random Sickness and how I wouldn't recommend it.