Things that make my life easier/better: smart home

I could write a book about how to have and use a smart home properly but having a range
of amazing gadgets has simply changed my life.

I  can make a shopping list, turn lights and the TV on/ off (incredibly useful- although this
makes me a ‘mean mummy’ apparently), I have reminders for everything and can use it
is a 2 way intercom.

I think any disabled or not disabled person  would find this useful and I think everyone should
have one. I have this in 5 rooms - I have ‘Alexa’ but any home organising gadget would do but
I can only talk about what I have…

My top tips:

Reminders 

You have to be a bit clever with this. My morning routine is organised by Alexa through reminders:

 7am it says ‘good morning’  (in a different language alĺ week because I am mental).
7.10am it says ‘Please get dressed,  brush your hair, make your beds, open the curtains and put
your bottle in the bathroom’
7.20am ‘Dressed, hair, bed, curtains and bottle? Please put mummy in a good mood’
7.35am (downstairs in the lounge)’Dressed,  hair, bed, curtains and bottle done? If any not done,
go back and do it please’
7.45am (downstairs in the kitchen) ’Mummy is not your slave.  Dressed,  hair, bed, curtains and
bottle done?’
8.10am (downstairs in the playroom) ‘Its 8.10am time to get ready for school or do violin practice’
8.20am (downstairs in the kitchen - moving towards the front door) ‘Its 8.20am. Time to get ready
for school. have you done your violin practice?’
8.33am (downstairs in the lounge - next to the front door) ‘Its 8.33am. Shoes on, coat on, get bags
including lunch if necessary.  Look for Nana or Granny’

The benefit of this is it isn't me saying it over and over again. I mean, seriously, there is only so
many times you can say get your shoes on...

Everything goes on this - reminders to make phone calls, order medication, everything for school
and it tells me off if I haven't done things (if I have told it too). If I don't put it on Alexa immediately
I forget I haven't put it on there and then I forget about it. 

I have daily reminders to do the kids reading,  spellings and times tables. Also daily reminders to
turn the oven on in the evening and a weekly reminder to write to my grandparents. If I think of
anything I specifically need to speak to my husband about I add it - the chances of me remembering
after looking after 2 children are slim!

 My memory is not what it was - it's still ok but I can tell a difference and it definitely isn't excellent
anymore so this helps me remember everything.

→ "add to reminders"

Shopping list 

Before this I had to rely on my husband to get dinner and every night was a ‘surprise’.  Now with this
wonderful thing I have control back. My husband has the linked app on his mobile phone so he
knows exactly what I want him to buy .

This does sometimes go horribly wrong and she doesn't hear me like the time I got a rather random
message from my confused husband asking why, when we don't own a dog, was dog food on the
list - it had heard champ rather than jam!!

→ "add to shopping list"

Linked to my Google calendar

I put in everything onto my calendar including school things (like that I need to magic up a £1 coin
for each child and I would create a corresponding reminder) and my stuff otherwise I would forget .
I have had my pilates teacher on my doorstep when I was meant to be going out with a friend as it
wasnt on my calendar.

I used to put the school lunch on it but I got sick of listening to the children crying over it and saying
‘but I don't like that’ so now I don't bother and just feign ignorance!

→ "add to calendar"

Operating my lights 

I love the fact I can walk in my front door and ask Alexa to put on the lights, lamp and TV. I also
don't have to get out of bed to turn the hall lights on/off which just in itself is amazing.

Kids help 

-  answers to inane questions
I have lost count of the number of time the kids have asked ‘is x dead’. Another classic is  ‘how
old is x’, I mean I don't know! Now I have a standard reply of ‘ask Alexa’...

- Spelling help 
I love the fact that I can ask them to spell words, then I can sit and drink my coffee whilst they
check it with Alexa.

Writing cards is much easier- I don't even have to be in the same room because if they are unsure
of the spelling they automatically ask her (which is a complete result)

- Multiplication help
I need to use it more for me because I am just terrible at maths. My children (luckily and to my relief)
take after my husband and are really quite good at mental arithmetic. Asking ‘what is the
multiplication table of …’ and ‘times table quiz’ are really useful.

→ "what is the multiplication table of …"
    "Play times table quiz "

Intercom and announcements

I hate starting my day shouting so having 2 way intercom is absolutely necessary. Before this I
had walkie talkies as I'm not loud but needed the children to hear me.

→ "drop in on the…"
"Announce,...."

Like everything there are downsides if she doesn't hear me or hear me right, given I struggle with
verbal communication, that is rather frustrating.  I actually felt the need (because I am clearly crazy)
to put a note through all my neighbours doors to explain it was a new technology thing just in case
they were worried I was screaming at my children or cats - I don't want social services at my door!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Like mother, like daughter ...

The many joys of being disabled: Random Sickness and how I wouldn't recommend it.