Discrimination


I wouldn't have written this before because it would have just made me angry.
Well, I never thought I would have to face any discrimination, but I have!

Discrimination comes in all shapes and sizes from the taxi driver for a disabled taxi
charity (I am trialling this as I don't really need it but it's much cheaper…) who didn't
want to speak to me, only to my PA, until I pointed out that I was quite capable of undertaking
a journey unsupervised (well really!! He was very lucky I got in his taxi at all  - I was not
impressed) to proper indirect or direct discrimination I have experienced them all.

The taxi driver really annoyed me and speaking to my PA she was rather shocked.  It is not
ok to describe all disabled people as ‘these types of people’ gesturing at me when in context
of saying ‘normally these types of people have a helper go with them'. He actually turned his
back on me and talked to my PA. If it weren't for the fact I was going somewhere nice and I
wasn't prepared for him to make me late, I would have made a fuss, but as it was, I made the
decision to grin and bear it.

I'd like to say that it's the only time a charity (that is meant to help me) has let me down
but it isn't - it's happened at least 4 times! I had one ‘charity’ who told me I could only go
to the bathroom at break and lunch times. I don't know about you but I am an adult and
don't like to be told when I can and can't go to the bathroom - I didn't stay long after that!!

I don't particularly like giving examples (I could give worse examples but it's embarrassing
to admit to being treated like this!). However, I think it is important that people see the type
of comments and behaviour I get and I look ‘normal’. Would you want to be treated like this??!


I am in a really privileged position to know what to say when confronted - I am aware that not
everyone knows this. It is that key phrase ‘knowledge is power’ so it's knowing that you could
make a fuss, why, how and then it's deciding if you want to (sometimes it just isn't the right thing
to do for you or your family).

Everyone should understand their rights and responsibilities under the law. I feel very strongly
about that and when I was at university I started a volunteer project which had this aim at its
core.

If you go on the internet and type disability discrimination or Equality Act into any internet
search engine you’ll get some useful examples. Read up on things - you don't have to be a rocket
scientist! Also The Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS) is a really useful service.

Sometimes just an email, initially, saying how a policy affects you differently and without
mentioning discrimination works well - you want to find out why they have that policy without
frightening them.


I knew that 1st in Multiculturalism, Ethnicity and Diversity law which I took at university (much
to my families amusement - I was going to a big commercial law firm) would pay off! It was
pretty much all on discrimination and the law. We looked at all kinds of groups of people
including  disabled - at the time I thought they were a boring bunch of individuals and much
preferred discrimination law against Gypsies. I had no idea how relevant disability discrimination
would be to me! I just took the course because it was open book and I thought I could get a
good mark - now I am ever so thankful I did.

I did manage to get one organisation, just through emails, to change a highly discriminatory
policy - which was brilliant. However, it is very frustrating that as soon as you make some
progress there are other organisations that prevent you from living a ‘normal’ life. It is a
constant battle and in this day/age it shouldn't be!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

The many joys of being disabled: Random Sickness and how I wouldn't recommend it.

Like mother, like daughter ...