Mummy ideas: Learning whilst doing…


This is the bit where I admit to being one of those weird people who loved revision
and exam time at school.
This was mainly because I knew how to revise, at least what worked for me and I
would put in the time.
This ‘putting in the time’ was mainly thanks to Buffy the Vampire Slayer until my post
graduate exams when I watched the West Wing. It might sound strange but I would
start on episode 1, season 1 and work my way through, sometimes twice but there
were quite a few episodes!
This was totally normal to me: my mum was a teacher and used to mark with Buffy or
a mindless film on in the background. I know a lot of people used to get really stressed
and lock themselves in the library but that wasn't me and I did alright!
At the end of the day, I would count up the hours of revision I’d done by counting the
number of episodes I’d watched in the background - it actually made it enjoyable.
And, now, as a mother of two: I apply this logic with my children.
Whenever they are in the garden I turn up Alexa (see my post on having a smart home)
and put on Storynory https://www.storynory.com/ - which provides free children’s audio
stories and poems. In my opinion this is simply a great free site and I highly recommend it!
It's so easy to use and the children can be doing anything like building a den, playing or
colouring. You want to get them to listen to a story or poem the first time but then you can
just put it on in the background -  and trust me, it'll go in.

I love poems and I point blank won't play football or whatever they want me to if they stop
reciting poetry at me. This might sound a bit harsh/mental but I am rather proud that my
children can recite loads of poems including some quite difficult ones. For example, my son
at 6 was able to recite all the words to Macavity and Growltiger's last stand by TS Elliot,
Smugglers Song by Kipling, Invictus by Henley and explain what the poems were about.
My daughter could too but I can't remember what age she was (bad mummy! Poems like
‘Invictus’ I wouldn't normally expect young children to know but it has a special significance
for me because of the whole brain hemorrhage thing)
My daughter was able to recite the Owl and the Pussycat poem before my brain haemorrhage
(when she was 3). I really like that poem and that's a good example of Storynory having an
excellent selection.
You can also help with school work - my daughter told me she was doing the Greeks at
school I was able to play them myths to go with it….the added bonus with Storynory is not
only that it is educational but it gets them off electronics!
I also love YouTube and have created playlists for the children. I have one for poems, one
for stories, one for children generally and lots more including a separate one with just songs
from horrible histories which I play all the time in the garden (my neighbours must think I am
crazy).
Since my brain haemorrhage (see my “about me” post) I can't stand a lot of noise or a lot
going on at once and if I can put something on it gives me a break without feeling guilty
about needing one, then great.
I am a big believer in turning something educational and ‘boring’ into something fun with my
main aim of getting my children away from screens and off computers.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Like mother, like daughter ...

The many joys of being disabled: Random Sickness and how I wouldn't recommend it.