The Many Joys of Being Disabled.


There are lots of things about becoming disabled that wind me up but also
many things that have also really surprised me.

A lot of these things you don't (well I didn't) even think about until you are disabled.
And then it becomes everything!

To say that things are hard is the understatement of the year! It is easily the hardest
thing I have encountered (let me remind you I was recruited and worked for a top law firm, 
I have a postgraduate qualification, a degree and won 2 national volunteer awards for
a volunteer project I set up whilst at university - I know what hard work is...). 

I am not scared to leave my house, it is just so much easier for me to stay in!! But I must
get out more so I have thought about starting a new series of blogs about the things I find
challenging, and the things that panic me each time I go on a long journey or go away.

And although I think it'll be good for me to have a bit of a whinge, my overriding attitude is:
'it sucks. So, what can I do to improve this?'

Looking for ways to solve the problems is the important bit. It is all very well to complain and
wallow and say 'poor me', but if you don't take steps to improve the situation, how can you
honestly expect it to get any better??!

Before I became disabled, I wouldn't have thought twice about how many people would be at
an event; how I could access it and whether there will be a suitable toilet.

Yet these days, these are all the things that I worry about. Lucky old me, eh?! The other night
I had four hours sleep because I was panicking about these kinds of issues before a family
event I had to attend.


Hopefully this new series will give you a better insight into my world!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Like mother, like daughter ...

The many joys of being disabled: Random Sickness and how I wouldn't recommend it.