I hate sports day



'I hate sports day.'  There, I said it.

 I have always hated sports day. I know I am meant to feel all 'I'm blessed' because
I almost didn't get to see any, but I am so over that now.

I just feel bad subjecting my children to it, particularly my little girl who isn't sporty
(and, as I tell her a lot, nor was I and I did ok).

I also feel terrible for myself, how is it at 35 I'm dreading the day?

What do I dread? Well let's see- it's really uneven and I spend the whole walk
 across the field expecting to fall over in front of everyone.  When I finally get to
 where I am sitting and lower myself into a dubiously uneven deck chair, I get to either
boil or (as this year had it) freeze. All this to watch my daughter  take part in 2 races
over the space of 4 hours!

I will admit the last hour is lovely: a family picnic with both children. My husband and
 my mother-in-law joined us this year, as they were doing the afternoon session for my
 son. The sun even came out and warmed my frozen body!

You might be surprised by quite how vocal I am about my hatred of sports day. It's a long
 standing feeling.

 Years after I left school, my old PE teacher described  me as 'bolshy'. Now that is not how
 you want to be remembered! Particularly when I wouldn't necessarily  describe myself at
 that time as being 'bolshy' - although I am pleased I was at least memorable!

To be honest, I was 'bolshy' at this years sports day- I was cold, grumpy and bored ( my
 daughter's races were finished by 10.15 am).

I might have, loudly questioned  the whole point of sports day, and I think I also questioned
 the type of person who liked sports day…oops!

 It was rather embarrassing because  both parents in front of me, (who would have heard me
whine loudly for hours), got up to do the mums and the dads race, respectively!

If I am honest, I am just jealous of people who can join in - I would love to do that and not be
 a total embarrassment to either myself or my children! I would have never won or taken part
 in the mums race before  - I didn't 'do' running and definitely would have been an embarrassment.

Now, I have a pretty good excuse and don't even have to feel guilty (well, there has got to
 be some perks hasn't there?).

After lunch I took back everything I'd said about sports day being dull. However my
husband had definitely got the better side of the deal - only 2 hrs and my sports mad son!

 His sports day was actually exciting with my son falling over (thankfully not hurting himself)
 whilst leading the 200m race, right in front of the finish line and getting back up to finish 3rd.

Everything I had said in the morning -  questioning  the educational benefit -  was utter rubbish.
 My son had just demonstrated resilience.

Thinking about it, however much I don't like sports day, the children are learning lots.
They are learning about joining in, team work, trying their best and (especially, with my
daughter) patience!

I take it back... for them.

However, I still hate it and will continue to (I completely blame that PE teacher- I mean
driving past yelling "run girls" out of her car window whiĺst we were doing the dreaded
cross country, running down a main road in Colchester, in those hideous PE knickers,
hardly inspired my love of sports!)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Like mother, like daughter ...

The many joys of being disabled: Random Sickness and how I wouldn't recommend it.