The Most Embarrassing Phone Call I Ever Made


 Those of you who have been through the process of getting a mortgage will know
 the importance of the whole ‘affordability’ thing. You know, when you present
 bank statements to the lender and show you can afford the money you want to
borrow; and that you’re not frittering your earnings away on too many take-aways,
clothes, posh cars or exotic holidays.

Anyway, I was thinking about what to write about next and I was reminded of what is
 possibly the worst phone call I’ve ever made. Just the memory of it makes me cringe.
 I can't believe I did it. It is so embarrassing!*

Basically around the age of 18, a Dogs Charity caught me at a hormonal moment. I saw
 a TV advert showing this poor cold and hungry dog – skinny, miserable and unloved
 and I felt compelled to help. Frankly, it must have been an amazing advert because the
truth is I am more of a cat person.

Fast forward 2 years and my now-husband was looking at my bank statements as we
prepared to apply for our first mortgage together.

Suddenly he exclaims: 'why in God's name are you giving money to dogs, Claire?! You
 don't even like dogs!'

We didn’t have much money at the time. Like literally none. I was a student – but there I
was, giving what money I did have to a charity to make sure the dogs (that I didn't really like)
 were ok.

From the look on my husband’s face that night, I knew I was going to have to stop sponsoring
 the dog.

The thing is though: I am really polite and I felt I had no other choice than to phone the charity
 and explain why my canine sponsorship would be no longer possible .

 I also naively didn't realise I didn't actually have to phone them to cancel. I was young (just 20
 at the time).

 So I dialled the number feeling awful.

“Hello,” said a voice at the other end. “How can I help you.”

 The problem was the volunteer at the dogs charity was clearly more used to people phoning
up because they wanted to sponsor a dog, not the reverse.

“Erm, I am so sorry but I need to stop sponsoring the dogs.,” I said, trying to get it over with
as quickly as possible.

“Er…” came the voice

In the end, I had to repeat several times, to the very nice volunteer that I wanted to inform them
that I would no longer be sponsoring a dog!

And even though, my husband and I got our mortgage, that phone call wasn't my finest moment.

I do like to explain my decision-making process though. On reflection, I think it might have been
better not to sponsor a dog in the first place.  However, l’d still feel compelled to explain – I’d just
 do it all in writing.

NB *I did think about how I could work this story into a post about complaining but the
 problem is that in this phone call I am not really complaining... This is just me, I have to
explain my thought process to someone, even if it sounds insane, it makes me feel better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Like mother, like daughter ...

The many joys of being disabled: Random Sickness and how I wouldn't recommend it.