The British Museum : A Disabled Person’s Review




I have been to the British Museum lots before and I was desperate to take my
Ancient-Egyptian-loving-children around it.

However, I was certain it would be awful because of my post brain haemorrhage
 mobility so we didn't go.

Then this summer I had a Walker carrier made for my scooter by this great charity
called Remap, so I didn’t have any more excuses. We decided to go for it.

I am so glad we did. The whole experience was 100% easier than I expected. Having
a Walker carrier made all the difference because I hated being stuck on the scooter. Once
 I realized it was far easier to use the scooter to get places, then park it and use my Walker
I was off and really enjoyed myself.

Cost

Entry to the museum is FREE however if you do eat or have coffee here expect London
prices!!

Parking



“Is this where the Queen parks?’ asked my 9-year-old and I had to say 'yes, it probably is.'

Honestly the parking was amazing! We parked right on the forecourt with the British Museum
 building next to us. They opened these gates that I have been through lots of times but have
never seen opened before. We parked right outside.

It was actually worth driving in central London after my husband had wanted a more scenic route.
 I don’t think my children appreciated that us running the gauntlet of taxis and random bikes (they
 all seemed to have a death wish) was all for their benefit. I mean, London is amazing, but once
 you’ve seen one tall building…you know?

You do need to organise parking in advance but this is easily done on the museum’s website.

I think this parking is only available for disabled; you would need to check the website or phone
 them to see what they recommend if you are travelling with little ones.

Access




To get into the museum there are lots of steps - which I was worried about. But right next to the
simply amazing parking is a little discreet lift that I'd not noticed before.

From there it's on the flat so easy although it was rather busy (well , I suppose it was going to be).

Getting around with my scooter and my Walker was no problem at all. The only thing that was a
 pain was the lift (that we found from/to Egyptian exhibits) was rather small and we had to remove
 my basket from my scooter to fit. However, I did fit and I don't suppose that there is much the
 museum can do about that particular lift’s size!

Toilets





I won't go into a lot of detail - it's a toilet. However, I think it is useful for other disabled people to
 see them! I worry a lot about going to places in case the disabled toilets are awful. Luckily this
one wasn’t.

So a review showing things like this would really help me. Apologies, though, I didn’t even think
about photos of the baby changing facilities but I spoke to them and there is one unit in the
accessible toilet and another on the floor below (see their website for more details)

Overall

I had a great time and it will definitely give the children lots of positive memories. The British
 Museum does offer lots of children's activities, but to be honest I prefer my clipboards plus my
 children are used to them.

I do like my ‘fun’ educational games so I was always going to make the most of our trip and they
looked so cute going round with their clipboards ticking things off!

The most important thing is once I realised I could use my Walker for short periods, and my
 scooter as a much needed back up, it was brilliant. I actually felt like a ‘normal’ mum visiting
 the museum - with the added benefit of amazing parking!

If you go, don’t miss the gift shop. It is simply amazing. It’s very easy to get carried away!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Like mother, like daughter ...

The many joys of being disabled: Random Sickness and how I wouldn't recommend it.