Raising awareness

 I am trying to raise awareness: 


Disability can happen to anyone. At any time. 


No one can see the future, anyone can become disabled


but, 


no one believes it could happen to them 🤷🏻‍♀️


I certainly didn't... 🤣


In her book, Discrimination Law, Sandra Fredman (second edition, 2010, Oxford University Press) talks about how surprising it is, given its random  nature, that society stigmatises, is prejudiced against and excludes disabled people. 


Recently, I went to a store with a large flight of stairs to a showroom but no alternative means to access. 


It was, of course, fine for me (I am sure you would be perfectly happy too!!) to only be able to access 50% of the shop easily... I lost sleep worrying about how I would negotiate this staircase. 


Read my 'disability discrimination strikes again' and 'disability discrimination' posts. These are the things I have to deal with daily and its exhausting... 


Look at my photos - it is as Sandra Fredman says completely 'random' which makes it frightening,  we don't want to think it could happen to us, it isn't how we see our life...


I just want to raise awareness.


Literally half the discrimination I face wouldn't exist if companies just thought...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Like mother, like daughter ...

The many joys of being disabled: Random Sickness and how I wouldn't recommend it.