Review - Greyfriars Hotel Colchester : Delightful, food, coffee and disabled access in Colchester

Since becoming disabled, the list of places I find easy to access and feel comfortable and happy in, has become ludicrously and frustratingly small.
However, I often ask my friends: 'Can we go to Greyfriars?' and even though I feel a bit cheeky suggesting we go to a posh hotel just for coffee, it really costs the same as a coffee shop. And it’s much nicer - and top of my easy-to-access list in Colchester.
Greyfriars is lovely, steeped in history, most importantly for me its access lift is amazing! It has parking right near the door and the disabled toilet is very nice!
Obviously I know Greyfriars does food as well as coffee! And very nice it is too. I have had Afternoon Tea here several times and it was lovely. I am a big fan of afternoon tea and pre- haemorrhage, I used to have Afternoon Tea a lot in London. But going into the city isn't the easiest now. So, let’s just say, I’m very pleased the Greyfriars Afternoon Tea is good. Lunch here was yummy, too and brilliant when there’s something special to celebrate.
Obviously the whole Coronavirus pandemic has left its mark. They do temperature check and there are a couple of new areas with perplex glass. However it is all very discreet.
But this review isn’t about the food - it’s about the disabled access. So here we go...
Parking
The disabled parking is right near the front entrance, the same side as the amazing entrance lift. Hooray! There has actually been some joined up thinking here!
Access Lift
I have mentioned the amazing access lift. Facebook unfortunately doesn't like me to post videos and photos but it works by the steps disappearing and it becomes a very cool standing lift. Perfect for me.
The other thing to mention is this access lift did stop working for a while and I did speak to them when it happened because it is such an important feature for anyone with access issues. I have to say I am impressed with how Greyfriars dealt with it and it was clear to me that they take access issues seriously. A lot of companies talk the talk but don’t walk the walk. And I am a firm believer in 'talk is cheap'.
I’m pleased to say that Greyfriars acted: the access lift was fixed quickly and they went out of their way to ask my opinion on a new secondary proposed entrance point for disabled people and/or pushchairs.
On a subsequent trip there, I saw a purpose built lift shaft to the upper levels made to look in keeping with the building. Greyfriars is a Grade II listed building so putting in this kind of thing wouldn’t be simple but essential for people like me to be able to stay - also very handy for carrying luggage. This is a very good example of how practical accessibility can also look good.
Credit where credit is due: I spend ages bringing problems to companies’ attention and it can be incredibly frustrating (see my 'Disability discrimination….strikes again post). However, here is an example of one company actually listening! Bravo Greyfriars!
Toilets
It's a toilet. But it’s a good disabled one! I would give it a 5/5 for cleanliness and the nice hand soap is an added bonus.
If I was dishing out awards, this might get the nicest disabled toilet award!
I should also mention there is a baby change unit available.
Cost
Let's face it - most of us are on some sort of budget. If I suggest a very nice hotel it automatically feels like an expensive trip (and in a way that's the feeling you want - I break out my 'posh' handbag every time I go!) However, in reality it doesn't have to be - like everything it is what you make it.
Overall
Everytime I have been to Greyfriars, I have had a thoroughly nice time. The first time I sat in front of a roaring fire in the depths of winter catching up with a good friend.
Another time, I sat outside on the terrace enjoying the glorious sunshine. Although it is just having a coffee and a chat - what a place to do it!!
This really is a beautiful building steeped in history which has been tastefully and thoughtfully brought into the 21st century.
The care and thought that has gone into restoring Greyfriars has even extended to local students designing the logo and art installations.
My husband rolls his eyes when I say I am off to Greyfriars. I often get an “again” and a sarcastic comment about him being at work all day to pay for it (and to be fair it does sound better than being stuck at work!) However there has got to be some perks to being disabled, hasn’t there? Even if it is a great access lift and a gorgeous cup of coffee…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Like mother, like daughter ...

The many joys of being disabled: Random Sickness and how I wouldn't recommend it.