The Many Joys of Being Disabled: Companies! Please, just Think…

I’ve tried really hard not to be too stroppy about this one. However, one of the hardest things about being disabled is the experience, time and again, of companies that just don’t think enough - or well enough - or creatively enough - about disabled access.
Sure, there are laws, but in my experience, so many companies get away with doing the minimum, or just paying lip service.
As far as surfaces go: I absolutely hate gravel, cobblestones and steps. If you are a company and you take nothing else away from this blog about disabled access, please know this: as a person using a walker/wheelchair, non-smooth and unlevel surfaces are my nemesis.
Time and time again, I come across access situations where I wouldn't have a problem if a disabled person had just tested the access or been asked their opinion.
Even if a non-disabled person just sat in a wheelchair (happy to lend you mine!) and tested various access paths themselves, it would become obvious how bad things can be and perhaps bring about change. This would make a huge difference to those 14.1 million of us in the UK who are disabled.
Thankfully, there are examples of good practice. For example, the Greyfriars hotel in Colchester sought my opinion on disabled access and Barn Plants (also in Colchester) has a fantastic and accessible café/restaurant (once you’re in it - the gravel outside isn’t the best).
You are never going to please everyone but this is what I* (be kind) think is important when it comes to disabled access:
- What is the surface like? Generally, gravel is a nightmare and don't even get me started on cobblestones, the most uneven surface ever...
- Are all surfaces level - inside and outside?
- Are there any steps and if so, what is the alternative access solution?
- Is there disabled parking? Is it in a sensible location - i.e. as close to the entrance as possible?
- Is the main door open or accessible? Does it open automatically and is it too heavy for someone with mobility or strength issues to hold open?
- Are there dropped kerbs?
- In shops: are the aisles too narrow or overstocked? This can be hazardous for those of us on walkers, mobility scooters and in wheelchairs.
- Is there a clean, fairly discrete disabled toilet - that you would honestly be happy to use? For this the person in charge should be spot checking them… Again, is the door easy to open?
- Have any business’ necessary policies - been adjusted to take account of disabled needs? The Equalities Act 2010 provides a continuing or anticipatory duty on companies to adjust policies so they meet disabled needs.
My life is tricky enough already. So when I go out, I want to feel that it is straightforward and that my needs are just as important as everyone else’s, regardless. If they’re not at your business, shop or eatery, trust me, I'll go elsewhere.
When I complain to companies - or phone up to tell them why I am not using their service or buying their product - I find they are so defensive and aggressive, especially when they are clearly in the wrong. I guess people feel threatened... 🤷🏻‍♀️
But, surely businesses don't want to breach equality laws?!
Naively, I really did think organisations would be grateful for my feedback and the opportunity to change. Turns out they are not 🤷🏻‍♀️🤣🤣However, unless someone speaks up nothing will change.
I don’t want to name and shame, but I actually ended up having a row with one organisation over whether or not someone had in fact been rude to me (spoiler: they had. And then they came across as rude on the phone).
I guess somewhere which would rather have an argument over facts than deal with the actual problem, aren't going to welcome constructive criticism 🤷🏻‍♀️🤣🤣.
I recently put my story on a Facebook group and I had 33 double-sided pages of comments from other disabled people, describing similar problems they face.
The 100s of comments I received shows how endemic disability discrimination is in our society. I actually found it really upsetting how many people put up with being treated like this….how is this OK?
What is often forgotten is that lots of disabled people have already been through absolute hell… They are not just whining about their disabilities. We shouldn't need to put up a fight just to have our needs considered. This is the 21st century. So companies, get with the programme…one day the disabled tag might apply to you.
* This is just my view as a disabled person who also had a buggy. It does not constitute legal advice in any way.
No photo description available.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Like mother, like daughter ...

The many joys of being disabled: Random Sickness and how I wouldn't recommend it.